This week we caught up with marvellous Meryem, to find out about her journey to yoga, how it led her to complete a Go Yoga Teacher Training course in Harrogate and how she is finding her newfound role as a Go Yoga teacher.....
1. Hey Meryem, how are you feeling today?
Hello Caroline. Im feeling incredibly grateful to have opened my eyes yet to another day. My mission is to never take life for granted.
2. When was the last time you taught a yoga lesson?
Last week Thursday at 9.45, Go Glow Flow yoga.
3. Have you been teaching for long?
No, not really, i have only been teaching for about 2 months now.
4. Why did you decide to become a yoga teacher?
Yoga was a big part of my healing process when I suffered severely from PTSD after having my beautiful son, so i wanted to give back to this wonderful thing called yoga by spreading it to others in hope that they too, can feel the healing powers of yoga like I did. Yoga is life.
5. What does yoga mean to you?
To me it means healing, it means a new beginning, an enlightening journey of self discovery. Yoga is dancing with the breath, it's meditation in motion. It's beautiful.
6. Can you sum up your teaching style in 3 words?
Fun, challenging, modified.
7. How do you want your students to feel after a lesson?
Exactly how I feel: euphoric and grateful to be alive.
8. Do you have a favourite yoga pose?
I have many many, from easier poses like the Child's Pose and Garland Pose, to the more complex like the Flying Lizard and Peacock Pose. I just love everything about yoga.
9. What does your average day look like?
I'm a parent so packed lunches to school runs to self practicing and finally getting some novel reading time... and then of course repeat!
10. What has been your defining yoga moment so far?
It has to be when I was finally able to do the headstand along with some arm balance work that I never thought I would ever, ever be capable of doing. You see, yoga is surprising like that. In addition, the yoga training course, which, no doubt has changed my life. I’m forever grateful.
11. What would be your advice to people who have never tried yoga before?
Stop contemplating and start today! Bring a friend if you must but please try. Try so you too can begin your journey into feeling the magic of yoga.
12. What times do you teach at Go Yoga Harrogate?